Such Things

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. - Philippians 4:8

Name:
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma

Friday, September 23, 2005

Hurricane Rita

I was going to start this post by saying that I have been under the weather so I have not felt like writing for a few days, but I'm sure there are many on the Gulf coast that would take the allergies and congestion that I've been feeling in exchange for the 'weather' they are about to be under.

I have to admit that when I first heard that Hurricane Katrina was headed for New Orleans I was not as sympathetic as I should have been. I didn't wish any harm on the people of that city, but as a result of my one visit to New Orleans many years ago, I thought that a good cleaning was certainly long over due. My only memory as a child was that it was a dark, dirty, scary city. A storm headed towards Houston has an entirely different meaning to me. I was just there earlier this month. I have family members and co-workers who live there. I've been there numerous times in the past including trips to the beach in Galveston and the boardwalk at Keemah. An eerie feeling comes over me reading Brad's Hurricane Rita updates like he is an embedded reporter sending reports back from the front line. I hate that he has to be there, but I know his leadership is needed by all those around him.

My prayer is for the safety that all those in the hurricane's path. My prayer is for comfort on those who are going through their second hurricane in as many months. My prayer is for peace for those families who have been separated by these storms for whatever reason. My prayer is for strength for the rescue workers, emt's, firemen, policemen, coast guard, national guard and all those whose job it is to protect and serve and maintain some sense of order. My prayer is for weakening of Hurricane Rita so that damage is minimized. My prayer is for forgiveness of my own hardened heart for taking so long to understand the impact of these storms on so many lives. Finally, my prayer is that God Himself will wrap his arms around the hospital where my brother will be for the next 48 hours so that he and all those with him will be protected.


Lord, listen to Your children praying,
Lord, send Your spirit in this place;
Lord, listen to Your children praying,
Send us love, send us power, send us grace!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such a good way with words and a wonderful heart! I'm proud you're my brother!

2:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dear son,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and prayers while Brad was in the midst of Rita. It seemed so unreal to have "one of ours" in
such a scary situation.

Love, Mom

P.S. Julie is right - you have a wonderful heart!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home