Such Things

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. - Philippians 4:8

Name:
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma

Friday, August 05, 2005

Go Out Da Doh, Daddy

Our children are set in their ways in the way they want to be put to bed. Ever since Clark was born, I have been responsible for putting Ryleigh to bed at night and Andrea has put Clark to bed, with few exceptions.

With Ryleigh we brush teeth, read books, say a prayer, tell some stories, sing some songs and I lay down with her until she is asleep or close to it. This time is special. Lately she has begged me to tell her stories from when I was a child. One of her favorites is the story of tell her of when Jeff was thrown from his horse, and he came over to our house for Julie to doctor all of the cuts and scrapes on his back. I always finish the story with "and that's how they knew they were made for one another because Julie took such loving care of him in his time of need" or something mushy like that. The trouble with telling stories is that it always leads to questions and discussions and her 8:30 bedtime quickly turns into 9:30, and I have to insist that she goes to sleep. So I limit the stories and sings songs to which she can fall asleep.

Last night was one of those rare ocassions that I put Clark to bed because Andrea was out running errands. Putting him to bed also starts with teeth-brushing (which often times becomes a wrestling match) and then book reading. Just like Ryleigh he loves reading books. Next he has 2 or 3 bedtime procedures based on who is putting him to sleep and how tired he is. 1) "Mommy (or Daddy) rock Clark." This is self-explanatory. Laying down with Ryleigh is great but there is just something about rocking your child to sleep. The oneness, and peacefulness that you share with a baby asleep on your shoulder is priceless. 2) "Lay down on Pooh." Beside Clark's bed is a large Winnie-the-Pooh pillow. If he is ready to get in bed he will climb in and tell you to lay down on Pooh until he falls asleep or until your spouse comes in and wakes you up several hours later. 3) "Go out da doh Daddy". I'm pretty sure he reserves this one just for me. I tried to rock him, he fusses. I try to lay down on Pooh and he sits up in his bed, points to the door, and instructs me to go out. Of course I fall for it everytime. Hah, I think to myself, I am so skilled at settling down my son that I don't even have to rock him or lie down, just put him in his bed and he will sleep.

So I go check on Ryleigh, read her a story, and pause. I hear noises from the other room. Clark has climbed out of his bed, turned on the light, and is sitting in his rocking chair 'reading' books out loud. Clark, I say, you need to get back in your bed. "Otay daddy" and he carefully places his books back in the basket and climbs back in bed. I try to lie down next to him but I hear "no daddy, go out da do". So I go out, and stand outside the door and carefully watch him. He sits up a few times and stares at the door to see if I'm watching, and when he thinks the coast is clear, he starts to climb out. I tell him again to get back in his bed and he does. I go sing some songs to Ryleigh, and again when I come back he is reading in the chair. We do this a few more times, and finally I decide it is just too late so I try to rock him, "no daddy lay down on Pooh". So I lay down next to him, and Andrea wakes me up a few hours later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home