Such Things

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. - Philippians 4:8

Name:
Location: Edmond, Oklahoma

Friday, September 09, 2005

What is a Dad to do?

It has just been a few weeks since Ryleigh started Kindergarten, and she has already grown up so much. Usually after we read books at night, she wants me to lay down with her, tell her some stories of my childhood, sing some songs and stay with her until she falls asleep. Tonight was different. She told me earlier in the evening that she wanted to try going to bed by herself, but I didn't really think much of it. Well when it was time for bed, we read some stories, we said our prayer, and then she disposed of me:

"Dad, you don't have to lie down with me tonight. I know pretty soon we will have a new baby and I will be sleeping on the top of the bunk bed and you won't be able to lie down with me every night. So I just want to start getting ready for that so I want to try going to sleep by myself. I think I will feel better if you wait outside my door for a few minutes just to be sure."

And with that I turned on her music, walked out the door and stood their sulking. My 5 year old daughter no longer needs me to put her to bed, what else is there for a dad to do?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Blair! I can't believe my husband was keeping this site a secret! (Or maybe he just forgot to tell me about it.) Love your Daddy insight!

This comment above, and the one from some guy about a book he wrote (in your most recent blog post I think) are spam. They leave the same message on lots of blogs with a link - to get hits on their website for whatever they are selling. Maybe you already knew that.

So, now I'm going to go back and read some more. . .

I had seen your name in the comments of Jan's blog, but didn't know that it was you.

Angi L.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home